Wednesday, October 9, 2013

My Piano Lesson

        Wednesday nights during the school year, I usually play the piano for the services. So tonight like every other Wednesday night, I started playing the song, and went through it a couple of times, and then I started looking around at everyone in the auditorium, as I was playing. I was looking at who was there, where they were sitting, who was in charge of the sound booth....and away my thoughts ran. Then suddenly I couldn't remember what part of the song I was on, was it the verse or chorus!? I was starting to panic and searching the music, but couldn't remember. So I picked a place and started playing where I hoped was right......it definitely was NOT! The sound was chaotic! Anyone listening knew I wasn't paying attention, and it sure didn't help to prepare hearts to worship the Lord!
         As I kept thinking about this later, and chiding myself; the Lord gently reminded me how closely this relates to life! Specifically what has been on my mind lately. Social networking sites such as facebook, twitter, pinterest and others keep us in touch with what is happening in everyone else's life. Since I don't have a facebook or twitter, for me it was a close friend that is getting married this weekend, and another one younger than me married and pregnant! A lot of times these happenings in others' lives leads to discouragement in our own lives, or bitterness against God for giving someone else a "better" or "easier" life than us! We get so worried about what others are doing, that we aren't focused on the life God has placed before us! When I look at others lives I am not paying attention to the tasks God has placed before me, and if I am doing them, it's definitely not to His glory. God has given us each a different path to follow. If I am not married at 19, like friends are, doesn't mean I'm backwards or even that they are wrong, it simply means God's will is different for each us!
          Psalms 40:8a, "I delight to do thy will, O my God:..... Do I "delight" to do His will? When His will is to simply play a song for service, scrub toilets, or to just patiently wait on Him; am I delightful, or happy about these things? Hmmm I will have to work on this! :)
         As I am supposed to focus on the song I am playing, and not on what is happening around me; so also in my life I need to focus on the tasks for the day, and doing each to the best of my ability to the glory of the Lord!  This is such a simple "lesson", but a lesson that the Lord is still working on me daily, to be content in His will!

Philippians 4:11 "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."


               
I love this quote! So my task ahead of me is to focus on the jobs God has placed before me each day, and to praise God while I am in the "hallway" doing them!

2 comments:

  1. As I was reading this story I was thinking of you. I'm so very proud of all you take care of for God. In a way I can relate to the discouragement. Ppraying for you my sister in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I know you can relate, in a different way to my situation! I pray for you daily.

      Delete