Monday, October 14, 2013

You Believe What?!!

          I think at one time in every Christians life, we all must decide how God wants us to live, or what our convictions are. The Lord gives us His Word to show us what to believe, and why. Then we must be ready, because the devil is alive, and someone will come along to try to shake us from our belief.
         Since I was very young, my family has only worn skirts. So growing up, every activity we have done has been done in a skirt. I realize most people are shocked, but it isn't hard at all! It's all I have ever known. ;) My parents also taught us that wearing a skirt, doesn't make us a better Christian than anyone else, it is just simply a way they felt we could please God more.
        There came a time in my life when I was a teenager, being homeschooled at one time and also in a Christian school, that God impressed on my heart to search the Bible and see what God wanted me to believe. I tend to be a very visual person, If I see it, it will be stuck in my mind. So I sat down and as I would read Gods Word I would write down what God commanded me to do, and also the things that said "pleased Him". Those became my convictions. One of those decisions was concerning modesty, the decision to continue to wear only skirts throughout my life. This was my CHOICE that I believe would best please God, for me. (This is a personal decision between each person and God.) I remember after I made this decision, more people asked me why I had a skirt on  then I ever remember hearing. The answer had changed from "because my parents said so" to "because I believe this is how God wants me to dress". I believe in this very time God was putting me through a little testing to see if those decisions I had made to only Him, were going to be the same when confronted with the question.
         As I watch my younger sisters getting closer to adult age, I see God putting them through the same testing to see if the convictions they have been taught also, are going to be their own beliefs.They must start deciding what they will believe and why. Today was a time of testing for one of them. As we were shopping in a store today one of my sisters had wandered over to another section. There was a lady beside her shopping also, she looked at my sister and asked her how old she was. When she told her, the lady looked at my sister again and told her her clothes were too old for her, she needed to wear something fresh. My sister was a little saddened/embarrassed by this, growing up she's not had to deal with questions like this much. I believe just like the Lord did to me, He is also beginning to impress on my sister the need to settle what she believes. She will also have to answer this question: Is she dressing like this to obey rules, or because SHE believes this is what God wants her to do?
        This can be applied to any convcition in our lives, not just dress. Do you have convictions/beliefs that you do to please the Lord?
        Even if you've been a Christian many years, I encourage you to reaffirm your convictions; and know why! When you least expect it, someone will question them. You can look at that 2 ways: You can get mad that someone is asking you why, or you can look at it as a nudge from the Lord to make sure those beliefs are sure-footed in the Bible.
        If you are a new Christian and aren't sure what you believe, I encourage you to read God's Word and find out what, with an open heart. He will show you!
   **1 Peter 3:15 "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:"





***The ultimate goal for every believer no matter what we do, is to please our Savior in everything we do.  I Corinthians 10:31 "Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment